Most of us grow beard to avoid the bother of daily shaving—and to have something to scratch while thinking “deep thoughts.” However, most other working professionals guys prefer general clean-shaven look because it’s not good for the sake of their jobs.
If you went on a interview with clean shave, then you are good and if you went with a cool beard then its a big no no, it is common job ethic and we can’t do anything about it.
There’s always gonna be a few haters though, so silence the baby-faced critics with a few historical facts about facial hair.
1. The chemical Dihydrotestosterone is what promotes beard growth. Unfortunately, this is also the chemical that promotes balding.
2. ‘Pogonophobia’ is the fear of beards and is a certifiable condition.
3. Beard transplants-yes that’s a thing-grew 600% between 2004 and 2014. The procedure cost around $7000 for a full beard.
4. Scientists believe Prehistoric men grew beards for warmth, intimidation and to protect their faces from the elements and minor scratches, but they also believe the beards were used as a form of intimidation by creating a stronger looking jaw line.
5. Ancient civilizations considered beards a sign of honor and would shave men’s faces as a form of punishment.
6. Around 345 BCE ‘Alexander the Great’ decreed that soldiers couldn’t have beards. He was afraid that opposing soldiers would grab on to the Grecians beards and use it against them while in battle.
7. Otto the Great, an ancient Celtic warrior would swear by his beard and rub it whenever saying anything serious.
8. Studies have found that women find men with full beards 2/3rds as attractive as clean-shaven men. There is a bright side to that same study though, those women also found bearded men more respected, more powerful and of a “higher status.”
9. 98% of the men on Forbes “100 Richest Men Alive” list are clean shaven and 98% of the world’s lumberjacks, warriors and total badasses have beards.
10. During ancient times, in Turkey and India, when someone had a long beard it was considered a symbol of wisdom and dignity.
11. The style that made popular by Abraham Lincoln, is called the chin curtain. This is when there is facial hair along the jawline which is long enough to hang from the chin.
12. Currently, about 33% of American males have facial hair of some kind, while 55% of males worldwide have facial hair.
So, does growing a beard is great? Well this depends on each individual, if you want to grow a beard then no one can stop you, not even your girlfriend because it makes you feel better embrace it and love it, yeahhh!!!